Taylor approves sidewalk funding

By NEIL B. McGAHEE
Posted 8/10/18

In a rare afternoon public meeting, Bartow County Commissioner Steve Taylor apologized "if anyone was thrown off by the change."Bartow County Transportation Planner Tom Sill introduced two …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Don't have an ID?


Print subscribers

If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.

Non-subscribers

Click here to see your options for becoming a subscriber.

Taylor approves sidewalk funding

Posted

In a rare afternoon public meeting, Bartow County Commissioner Steve Taylor apologized "if anyone was thrown off by the change."

Bartow County Transportation Planner Tom Sill introduced two applications for grants from the Transportation Alternative Program (TAP) to install sidewalks in the Allatoona Community and along Grassdale Road in a joint project with the city of Cartersville.

"This is a funding program from the Georgia DOT," Sill said. "And we are seeking to fund two projects — sidewalks along New Hope Church Road and Glade Road connecting Allatoona Elementary School and the Allatoona Resource Center. " 

Sill said 80 percent of the $1.7 million project would be federally funded with the county picking up the other 20 percent.

"The other is a $4.36 million cooperative project between the county and the city to install sidewalks from Cassville Road to Joe Frank Harris Parkway," he said. "Again, 80 percent of the funding will come from the feds and the city and county will each pay 20 percent."

Taylor approved the application.

Taylor also approved a memorandum of agreement with the City of Cartersville and the Atlanta Regional Commission to continue litigation with Alabama and Florida over water supply issues.

"We will pay our pro-rata share of the money to the Atlanta Regional Commission," Taylor said, "to help pay for lawyers to fight the water wars with Alabama and Florida that's been ongoing for years and probably will be for years to come."


In other business, Taylor:

• Appointed Gail Wilkins to replace Cindy Smith on the Regional Mental Health Board.

• Approved an intergovernmental agreement with the City of Cartersville for renewal of solid waste disposal fees.

• Approved an intergovernmental agreement with the City of  Euharlee to handle property tax collections.

• Awarded a contract for $6,548,403 to C.W. Mathews Construction to build Phase 1 of the Cass-White Road Improvement Project from Colonels Way to U.S. Highway 411.

Commissioner Taylor will hold a regularly scheduled public meeting on Wednesday, Sept. 12, at 10 a.m. in the Commissioner’s Conference Room, Frank Moore Administration and Judicial Building 135 W. Cherokee Ave., Cartersville.