70,000 lbs of Little Debbies litter I-75 after crash
by Staff Report
Apr 26, 2014 | 3651 views | 0 0 comments | 46 46 recommendations | email to a friend | print
An early morning crash on Interstate Highway 75 near exit 283 left the roadway littered with 70,000 pounds of Little Debbie cakes.

The crash occurred around 3:25 Friday morning as traffic slowed near mile marker 281 for another crash. A northbound McKee Foods tractor trailer hauling the cake boxes struck a Honda Accord in the center lane pushing it into a UPS tractor trailer in the right lane, according to the Georgia State Patrol. The McKee tractor trailer continued in the center lane and hit a Wheaton Van Lines tractor trailer in the rear before overturning. Nine people were injured, including the driver of the Honda, Alvin Kenneth Hammonds, 53, from Rex, who was airlifted to Grady and his passenger, Stephen Patrick Waldon, 32, also from Rex, who was transported to Kennestone Hospital. The other seven people were taken to Cartersville Medical Center for treatment. The driver of the McKee truck, James William Gregory, 45, from McDonald, Tenn., was charged with following too closely.

Pursuit of stolen car results in crash

An attempt by a Georgia State Patrol trooper to stop a stolen car resulted in a pursuit and subsequent crash. The trooper noticed a 1984 Corvette near Woodland High School and, after checking the tag, learned the Corvette had been reported stolen earlier. He attempted to stop the vehicle but the driver attempted to flee on Ga. 113. The Corvette turned onto Brown Farm Road where the driver lost control in a curve, left the roadway and overturned in a ditch, landing upside down. Once out of the vehicle, the driver, Christopher Andrew Wood, 35, from Pickens County, S.C., was transported to Floyd Medical Center where he was treated and released. Troopers took him to the Bartow County Jail on charges that include theft by receiving stolen property, fleeing and attempting to elude, DUI and reckless driving.

Man assaulted at Dellinger Park

An 18-year-old man told Cartersville Police that he was jumped by four black males as he was leaving the Dellinger Park basketball courts, 100 Pine Grove Road. The victim said he was leaving the basketball court when a gold Buick with five occupants pulled up beside him. Four of the occupants jumped out of the vehicle and began beating the victim in the back of the head until he fell to the ground. According to the victim, one of the men said, “This ain’t over so you better watch your back.” The victim said he had been threatened a few days earlier at school. The victim couldn’t identify any of his assailants and the officer said the victim didn’t show any signs of an altercation.