Cartersville man shot in Woodstock
by Staff Report
Mar 11, 2014 | 2291 views | 0 0 comments | 24 24 recommendations | email to a friend | print
A local man looking to collect a debt in Cherokee County was shot over the weekend.

The Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office said about 4:30 p.m. Sunday Cherokee 911 received a call from a motorist saying they had witnessed what appeared to be a shooting outside a residence on Bells Ferry Road near Holly Street in Canton. Moments later an adult male, Ryan Jones, 23, of Cartersville, arrived at Northside Hospital Cherokee with gunshot wounds.

Deputies were dispatched to 9990 Bells Ferry Road where the shooting reportedly happened and secured the residence, and detectives with the Cherokee Sheriff’s Office then responded to the location.

According to the press release, witnesses at the scene said Jones came to the residence with a gun demanding to be paid for a debt he claimed he was owed. A guest at the residence, Brian Turner, 43, of Woodstock, shot Jones with a shotgun outside the residence.

Jones’ injuries do not appear to be life-threatening.

It was later determined the gun Jones brought to the residence was a BB gun.

A search warrant was obtained for Turner to determine if he was under the influence of narcotics. He refused to comply with the search warrant and was arrested for obstruction. He is currently in custody at the Cherokee Adult Detention Center with a $1,000 bond.

On Monday CCSO said the investigation is ongoing, but Turner had not been charged in the shooting.

Man arrested on multiple charges, threats

On Sunday just after 7 p.m., a BCSO deputy was dispatched to an Old Alabama Road residence in Aragon in reference to multiple violations of the Family Violence Act as well as third-degree cruelty to children, according to an incident report.

After meeting with the complainant, the deputy approached offender William Michael Blakley, who was later arrested, and asked him what took place. Blakley said the complainant hit him in the face during a verbal argument then he grabbed her by the neck. He said he did not have a knife on him during the incident and that he did not threaten to burn down the house.

Prior to arrival, dispatch informed the deputy they heard Blakley in the background threatening to burn down the house as well as the complainant informing him at the time of the deputy’s arrival that Blakley did take a gas can to the back bedroom. The deputy asked Blakley about the gas can, which he said was kerosine for his heater located in the dining room area. Blakley said the kerosine normally is kept in the carport area, but it currently was in his bedroom, where it was later located by the deputy.

After speaking with Blakley and due to being on scene alone, he advised Blakley he was being detained for the deputy’s safety and was placed in the back of the deputy’s patrol unit.

The deputy then interviewed the complainant in the carport area while a female relative waited in the kitchen. The complainant said Blakley was in a bad mood all day and was drunk. She further stated the Blakley was insulting to a female family member and that he made the comment he was going to make a male acquaintance watch as Blakley assaulted the man’s wife before killing the male acquaintance.

During the verbal argument, the complainant told Blakley to leave the female relative alone, which caused him to start yelling. The complainant stated she was holding her baby while Blakley was yelling at her and telling her he was going to “knock the hell out of her” and he was going to kill her and her boyfriend. The complainant stated she was holding her baby when Blakley lunged at her and grabbed her by the front and back of her neck and started to choke her. The complainant said she almost dropped her baby, but a female relative caught the baby before she hit the ground.

The complainant stated she was able to break free of Blakley by hitting him in the ribs, then hit him in the area of his face. When the complainant broke loose from Blakley, she ran and got a female relative’s cellphone and called 911. While she was calling 911, Blakley told her he was going to cut her throat open, at which time she noticed Blakley holding a long knife that he kept partially hidden behind his arm.

While she was on the phone with dispatch, Blakley went to his bedroom then returned to the kitchen area where the complainant and female relative were standing. At that time, Blakley had the large knife in one hand and a hatchet in the other. He slammed the hatchet down on the counter and told the complainant, “Let’s play.” During that time, the complainant was still on the phone with dispatch who could hear Blakley in the background.

According to the complainant, Blakley went outside to the carport and grabbed a gallon can of kerosine then came back into the residence yelling he was going to burn down the house before law enforcement could arrive. At that time he went to his bedroom with the full can of kerosine.

According to the female relative, Blakley woke up in a bad mood because he thinks his boss is underpaying him and he wants a family relative and her boyfriend to move out of the house. The female relative also said he had been drinking all day, but was still upset.

The female relative confirmed the complainant’s statement that Blakley made a comment about assaulting the wife of a male associate before killing him and that he yelled at the complainant, choked her and caused her to drop the baby and that he threatened to burn down the house.

She said Blakley threw some spray paint cans at the complainant and herself, but none of the cans made contact.

The deputy located the sheath to the hatchet on the kitchen counter and the sheath to a large knife in Blakley’s bedroom. He located a red gas can full of kerosine in Blakley’s bedroom. The female relative said Blakley put his knife and the hatchet in his gun cabinet, which she retrieved for the deputy.

The deputy did observe and took photos of the marks to both the left and right side of the complainant’s neck, which were consistent with her statement.

While informing Blakley that he was being arrested for aggravated assault (FVA), simple assault (FVA), two counts of terroristic threats (FVA) and third-degree cruelty to children, he informed the deputy there was marijuana in the residence. Blakley said the marijuana was in the potato box and belongs to everyone in the residence except for him. The deputy uncovered a small metal box containing a glass pipe, a cigarette roller, an empty baggie and suspected marijuana seeds located where Blakley said it was.

The deputy informed the complainant and female relative that the items were going to be taken and disposed of due to the items being possible drug-related items, and because the baby witnessed the FVA offense, the Division of Family and Children Services was going to receive a copy of the report.

@Bodycopy center bold:<*p(0,0,0,11.3,0,0,g(P,S))>Voices heard before Saturday fire

On Saturday about 4:15 p.m., a Bartow County Sheriff’s Office deputy was dispatched to 6026 Ga. Highway 140 to assist with road closure for the Bartow County Fire Department, according to an incident report.

While directing traffic, BCFD Sgt. Mike Brown advised the deputy that a witness said she heard voices from the direction of 6062 Ga. Highway 140 and then heard one of the voices say, “Let’s get out of here.” Brown advised the witness told him he then observed smoking coming from the area of the residence.

The deputy was unable to speak with the victim. He attempted to call her cellphone numerous times and she was not on scene. He also was unable to speak with the witness.

The brush fire destroyed an abandoned mobile home and burned an acre of the surrounding land. BCFD stations 2, 10, 15 and battalion 1 responded to the blaze, which caused slight damage to the underpinning of a neighboring mobile home.

Officials were unable to determine the cause of the fire.