Bartow residents allegedly involved in moving dead body
by Staff Report
Sep 13, 2013 | 4725 views | 0 0 comments | 38 38 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The Pickens Progress reports the body of a 20-year-old who was moved after being found dead on Thursday, Aug. 29, has led to charges against two people and a continuing investigation by the GBI and sheriff’s office.

Capt. Frank Reynolds, of the Pickens Sheriff’s Office, said from the investigation it appears that Taylor Smith, 20, of Cherokee County died of natural causes at a Pickens County home where she had attended a party.

Reynolds said apparently she went to bed about midnight and at some point had a seizure and died. She was confirmed to have existing medical conditions.

“There is no indication that anyone played any role in her death,” Reynolds said. “There were no obvious signs of trauma.”

However, Reynolds said they are awaiting the results of a toxicology report from the autopsy before making final determinations.

Reynolds said the death and the strange events of moving the body the next morning prompted investigators to look at whether drugs were present at the party — an investigation that is continuing.

Already arrested, Marty Joseph Gaddis, 38, of Jasper, has been charged with a range of charges related to moving a body. A search warrant of the home found a substance believed to be methamphetamine, according to Reynolds.

Arrested Tuesday afternoon, Denise F. Patterson, 51, of Bartow County, also faces similar charges for moving the body and for drug possession.

When Smith was discovered dead, other people in the house first began driving her to the hospital, but Reynolds said for reasons that aren’t clear they then stopped at a private home of someone they knew on Robin Road and dumped the body and called 911.

According to Reynolds, the person who called 911 gave the wrong address and sheriff’s officers and medical crews had to search before finding the body “lying in the yard” near a trailer.

For his part in moving the body, Gaddis is charged with abandonment of a dead body, concealing the death of another, two counts of tampering with evidence and the drug charges — possession of a controlled substance and reckless conduct.

Patterson is charged with abandonment of a body, tampering with evidence (two counts), illegal possession of a controlled substance, concealing the death of another and reckless conduct.

Two other arrests were made this week. Darleen V. George, 51, of Cartersville, turned herself into the Pickens Sheriff’s Office on Sept. 10. She is charged with making false statements; possession of a controlled substance, methamphetamine; and reckless conduct. Dustin Cox, 25, of Canton, was arrested and charged with possession of a controlled substance, methamphetamine; and reckless conduct.

Dog stolen from horse ranch

Two men who hid in a barn loft are suspected of stealing an American Staffordshire dog.

The victim said she arrived at the Tom Jones Road residence to check on her horses and other animals, as she does not regularly live at the residence. When she arrived at the barn, she found two men hiding in the loft. She knew one of them, according to the Bartow County Sheriff’s Office incident report, because she once boarded one of his horses. However, she did not know the second man.

The victim asked both suspects to leave. She believed one man was acting suspicious because he reportedly kept saying how much he liked her dog, which was running around the barn. When the men left, the victim said she was not watching them as they walked away toward the woods behind the barn.

A few minutes later, the victim realized her dog was not running around the barn.

The victim said she did not see the suspects take her dog, but the direction they walked in required them to hop over a fence. The victim also said her dog would not be able to get out unless the men lifted it over the fence.

According to the report, when the victim realized her dog was gone she remembered the suspects saying a woman was going to pick them up. The victim drove around in an attempt to find where they walked into the woods and she found a white Jeep Cherokee reportedly parked near her property on Tom Jones Road.

A white woman was sitting inside the vehicle and when the victim began writing down the license number, the woman reportedly sped off.

The incident report described the dog as an American Staffordshire, male, with a white body and several dark grey spots. One grey spot is over his left eye and covers half of his head. His name is Teebo and he was wearing a blue collar with that name on it. The victim said Teebo is 1 1/2 years old and weighs approximately 70 to 80 pounds.

The deputy attempted to find the suspects by going to one suspect’s home. The suspect’s father said he had not seen his son since he left with his with his wife hours before. The suspect’s father, according to the report, said one of the trio drove a white Jeep Cherokee and they were in it when they left.

The deputy did not see the dog on the property.

Man gets DUI on red moped

Maybe he wanted to be a Hell’s Angel.

Three calls were made to 911 Wednesday night, about an intoxicated man driving down Highway 411 Wednesday night. As a BCSO deputy responded to the calls, he saw the man, later identified as Ross Grew, as he passed Toyo Tires.

According to the report, Grew was slumped over while riding the moped and it was swerving all over the road.

The deputy pulled Grew over into a Toyo Tires gated driveway. The deputy noted a strong odor of alcohol coming from Grew. When asked if he had been drinking, Grew said he had an iced tea at noon. He later explained it was a hard ice tea.

Grew’s eyes reportedly were bloodshot and he was unable to stand still.

The deputy arrested Grew for suspected driving under the influence and read the implied consent for people over the age of 21. According to the report, Grew said he was a 2-year-old and then a 6-year-old woman. He also said “blah, blah, blah,” as the deputy read the implied consent. When the deputy finished, Grew allegedly said, “[Expletive] no,” and said he was “going to go off.”

Grew allegedly went from chatty to using profanity and threatening. While sitting in the patrol car’s back seat, he allegedly banged his head on the divider and kicked at the rear window. During transport to the Bartow County Jail, Grew reportedly kicked, cussed and spit on the divider.

The deputy later discovered Grew had urinated in the back seat as well.