ATF: No federal charges in Adairsville ‘destructive device’ case
by Jessica Loeding
Jul 27, 2013 | 1278 views | 0 0 comments | 15 15 recommendations | email to a friend | print
A man arrested earlier this month for a “destructive device” in Adairsville will not face federal charges, according to a national agency.

On July 9, Bryan Davis King allegedly had in his possession a “destructive device.” King, who was involved in a domestic violence incident hours prior, was taken into custody by Adairsville police officers during a traffic stop.

“After taking the subject into custody, the officers noticed a suspicious device in the front seat of the perpetrator’s vehicle. The device was fashioned in such a way that the officers believed it could be a ‘pipe bomb’ and that it appeared to have been a destructive device as defined by Georgia law,” reads a statement from Adairsville Police Department.

The Northwest Georgia Bomb Squad responded, along with Bartow County Sheriff’s Office, Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

“It was later determined by the Northwest Georgia Bomb Squad that the device contained destructive elements. The bomb squad believed that the device posed a threat of causing death or serious bodily injury to persons within the area,” the APD statement reads.

According to the statement, officers from the squad removed the device, transported it to an off-site location where the “device was safely detonated.”

Adairsville police charged King, 47, of Adairsville with domestic terrorism, possession of explosive or destructive device, transportation of an explosive or destructive device and reckless conduct.

Following a July 11 press conference, Adairsville police said the investigation had been deferred to the ATF.

“The FBI deferred it to the ATF ...,” APD Lt. Mike Fitz said last week. “But the FBI [and ATF] each have their own separate crime labs is my understanding, and because the ATF has it and is handling it on their level at a crime lab, that the FBI isn’t going to fool with it. That is my understanding of where we are at right now.”

APD Lt. Matt Fowler, who led the July 11 press conference, said the information in the days following King’s arrest developed quickly.

“There were other aspects of the investigation that were rapidly evolving that wasn’t ... available during the news release,” he said last week.

Regina Milledge, public information officer with ATF’s Atlanta field division, said the agency would not be pursuing a case or federal charges against King in an interview.

“The evidence was collected by the Floyd County bomb squad and Adairsville Police Department, and that evidence was given to the ATF for submission to the ATF lab,” she said.

Fitz said the department was awaiting the results of the ATF’s analysis, which could take months.

The investigator said the charges taken by his department were at the state level and follow the Official Code of Georgia Annotated dealing with domestic terrorism.

“We are satisfied that those charges. ... They fall right in line with Georgia law and the elements of each law,” Fitz said. “I verified numerous times throughout the course, the initial course of this, with Capt. [Greg] Dobbins and Sgt. [Ron] Hunton [with Northwest Georgia Bomb Squad] the entire case, the entire warrants, everything. And they were both, as experts in that field, in agreement with each other that, ‘Yeah, that’s exactly what you had as classified under state law.’ And they said, ‘We don’t know federal level.’”

Adairsville police referred questions about the makeup and possibly destructive and deadly qualities of the item to the bomb squad.

Dobbins said in an interview this week, although he could not recall how the device was classified, the information had been included in the agency’s report, which was given to Adairsville.

A copy of that report was not available.

When asked about statements concerning the potentially deadly device made at the scene, Dobbins said, “I don’t know exactly what was said. They would have that report on what we said.”

Dobbins said the agency removed the device from the vehicle, “carried it to another spot and rendered it safe” using “something on our truck to disrupt it.”

Milledge said in the interview that the device was not explosive. Although Dobbins could not recall what was inside the device, he said, “I believe Adairsville did make the charge of an explosive device, so if they made that charge, it had to be an explosive.”

As for the APD statement concerning the bomb squad’s assessment that the device posed threat to life and property, Dobbins said, “According to Adairsville police and their charges, you know, that was the charges they put on the gentleman.”

He declined to comment further on the investigation.

From here, Milledge said the ATF will await the submissions for testing and conduct an analysis on the evidence.

With the department concluding its portion of the investigation, Fowler said the department will release no further information so as to not jeopardize the case or any potential charges that may stem from the incident.