Kentucky couple arrested for kidnapping
by Staff Report
Jun 22, 2013 | 4351 views | 0 0 comments | 114 114 recommendations | email to a friend | print
An allegedly stolen vehicle led a Kentucky couple to Cartersville and landed them behind bars after they reportedly kidnapped another man.

According to the Bartow County Sheriff’s Office incident report, a Broadlands Drive resident called police at 1 a.m. Thursday about a prowler allegedly armed with a gun. Deputies located the suspects’ vehicles down the street.

The deputy reported Jon Mullins of Paducah, Ky., was driving a 1998 Ford F150 that he said the passenger had stolen from Mullins’ boss in Kentucky.

He told the deputy that he went to the complainant’s residence looking for the man, whom he later located at another Broadlands Drive home. Mullins said he placed a handcuff on the man so he wouldn’t run or try to assault Mullins. Mullins told the deputy the man left willingly and he was armed only with pepper spray to defend himself.

The victim said Mullins knocked on the door and was armed with a tomahawk. According to the man, Mullins told him not to resist and handcuffed him, forcing him into the truck against his will.

A woman, identified as Eve Cates, said she and Mullins traveled from Paducah to locate the victim and the truck. She said she knew of Mullins’ plan to handcuff the victim, who was located through Facebook.

Mullins and Cates were placed under arrest. During a search of Cates’ car, the deputy located suspected Xanax inside a bottle without a label. Mullins was charged with kidnapping under the Family Violence Act and possession of a schedule IV narcotic, and Cates was charged with kidnapping party to a crime (FVA).

@Bodycopy center bold:<*p(0,0,0,11.7,0,0,g(P,S))>Man arrested after confronting couple he believed robbed business; property recovered later

A couple walking along Old Tennessee Road about 7:30 p.m. Thursday said a man approached them, pointed a gun and told them to follow him or he’d shoot them.

According to the report, Franklin Gilmore approached the couple and threatened the couple, firing off a handgun as the three walked. The female victim told the deputy she and the male victim sat down to rest and Gilmore fired into the ground, stating, “You know you could hide a body out here and nobody would ever find you.”

The woman said at that time she stated she was going home and left. When asked why she didn’t call 911, the woman said, “I don’t know.”

The deputy spoke with Gilmore by phone, with Gilmore stating he fired two shots as “location” beacons for those accompanying him. He denied pointing the gun at the couple or threatening to kill them.

Gilmore met the deputy at the jail, stating he had located the couple in the woodline because he suspects them of robbing his family store.

A witness said he observed Gilmore fire the handgun, later recanting the statement. Another witness said he saw Gilmore fire one shot after the male victim turned on him. Another witness said she did not hear gunshots.

Gilmore was arrested and charged with aggravated assault (FVA).

According to a Cartersville police report, items suspected to have been taken in the robbery of a Nelson Street business were recovered by the witnesses who were with Gilmore.

In the report, a woman told a Cartersville police officer Thursday morning that $60,000 in jewelry — 300 watches and 10 to 20 rings — had been taken overnight. The woman said she suspected a man who had shown up after almost a year with no contact asking about a hot tub. According to the report, the woman said it was “off the wall” for him to be around and she believed he had a key. There was no visible sign of forced entry.

About 10 p.m. Thursday, the CPD officer met with a BCSO deputy who said property belonging to the business had been recovered in the incident involving Franklin Gilmore on Old Tennessee Highway.