Judge denies bond for pair charged in man’s death
by Staff Report
Jun 20, 2013 | 2193 views | 0 0 comments | 40 40 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Two people charged in connection with the death of a Cartersville man months ago remain in jail.

Tammy Lynn Murphy, 50, and Steven Mark Eller, 45, were denied bond Tuesday by Judge Shepherd Howell, according to the Clerk of Superior Court’s office. The case has not been presented to the grand jury.

In March the Bartow County Sheriff’s Office arrested the pair after Danny Lamar Gravley, 47, was found dead in the bed of his truck along Red Top Mountain Road. Gravely had died from a single gunshot wound to the head. According to the BCSO, evidence pointed to the victim having been shot at a residence on Dogwood Place in Bartow County.

Murphy and Eller are each charged with murder, aggravated assault, possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime, tampering with evidence and concealing the death of a person.

Woman seeks driver in hit-and-run

A vehicle involved in a hit-and-run that left one vehicle totaled is being sought after the driver left the scene.

Kristie Tillett said she was driving east on West Main Street at South Museum Drive when a black Chevrolet king-cab pickup truck cut in front of her, attempting to beat an oncoming train.

According to Tillett, the driver — a white male in his mid-20s — stopped and exited the vehicle but re-entered the truck and fled. She said the truck had a lift kit, black and chrome rims, brush guard and chrome side steps.

The woman said her 2003 Honda Element had the front fender torn off and was totaled by the insurance company. “He took the front of my vehicle off.”

She said a BMW also was damaged, although it was not included in the Cartersville police report.

A be-on-the-lookout has been issued for the truck.

Medicare fraud call concerns resident

An Arrowhead Drive resident told police a scam call has her concerned for her elderly neighbors.

The woman said on Friday afternoon a call from someone claiming to be with Medicare in Washington, D.C. The man told her he was calling about changes to her plan and needed her banking information to complete the process.

According to the report, the woman said she realized the call was a scam and hung up. A government official later confirmed it was fraud.

Man charges deputy, pulls fire alarm in jail

An inmate in the Bartow County Jail was placed back into isolation Tuesday after an altercation while being moved to general population.

According to the incident report, as the deputy went to transport the man from isolation he fled down the hallway toward the cell block doors, which a tower operator closed, blocking him in. The man turned on the deputy, pushing a commercial trash bin toward the deputy. As the deputy approached, the inmate grabbed the bin, pushing it against the deputy and hitting her with it as the two struggled back and forth. When the bin flipped over, the man acted like he was going to strike the deputy and ran back toward the elevator.

When the deputy made contact with the inmate, he pulled the fire alarm, setting off the warning in the entire jail. The man allegedly tried to grab the deputy’s arms, swinging at the deputy when she pushed him away.

He was able to be handcuffed after assistance arrived to help the woman. He was placed back into isolation where he ripped up his jail clothing and attempted to harm himself. He was given a paper suicide gown, but he removed the plastic strings from the gown and tied them around his neck.

The inmate was placed on disciplinary status in an isolation cell, and deputies removed anything he could use to harm himself.

Suspect tries to cash company check for $32K

The owner of a Cartersville extermination business told deputies Tuesday she believed a former employee had written a check for almost $32,000.

According to the BCSO report, the woman fired a secretary on May 22, but caught the woman in the business on May 23 and told her to leave.

In the past few days, the business received notice that a check was made out to a gas company for $31,698.23. The check was dated May 23 and had the owner’s signature on it, but the owner said she did not write it.