City Manager Trish Sullivan said seven candidates were being interviewed for the newly created position. The director would be responsible for developing short- and long-range plans for departmental programs, operations and facilities, including administration of the city’s Joe Cowan Park, scheduled for completion in fall 2013.
Other responsibilities include:
• Developing departmental policies and procedures;
• Preparing an annual budget;
• Implementing marketing efforts to attract sports tournaments;
• Overseeing and performing field maintenance;
• Hiring, training, evaluating and counseling department staff; and
• Maintaining media communications.
Sullivan said the interview process has just begun, so she was unable to predict when a director might be hired.