Cartersville man suspect in Athens hit-and-run
by Staff Report
Feb 20, 2013 | 3371 views | 0 0 comments | 7 7 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Police in Athens expect criminal charges to be filed after a pedestrian was critically injured Saturday by a suspected drunk driver.

According to the Athens Banner-Herald, Emily Bowman, 19, of Woodstock was struck from behind about 3 a.m. by a pickup truck. Bowman remained in a coma at Athens Regional Medical Center on Tuesday.

Though the pickup’s driver fled the scene, police quickly identified a possible suspect when they found the truck abandoned on a side street nearby. The suspect is a 22-year-old Cartersville man, to whom the truck is registered, according to police.

Since the collision, investigators have collected evidence from the home of the suspect’s mother in Watkinsville and his father’s home in Lawrenceville, among other places.

Lt. Don Eckert, commander of the Athens-Clarke police Traffic Unit, said police were discussing the case with the Western Judicial Circuit district attorney’s office to discuss criminal charges. A liquor bottle, empty cans of beer and other evidence collected from the pickup strongly indicated that the motorist who struck Bowman was impaired at the time, according to police.

Though the driver was not immediately arrested, making it impossible for investigators to test him for alcohol, investigators were confident they may be able to make a case for DUI.

Police are not releasing the suspect’s name until warrants are signed.

After police identified the pickup’s registered owner, he refused to speak with investigators, as did his mother and father, who retained an attorney in connection with the hit-and-run investigation, Eckert said.

Fire destroys mobile home

A Rydal residence was lost to fire late Monday evening.

Bartow County Fire Department’s Sgt. Lisa Hahn said the vacant mobile home at 3684 Highway 140, Lot 16, was fully involved when crews arrived at 11 p.m. Monday. Stations 1, 5, 8 and 15 responded, remaining on the scene until almost 2 a.m.

The structure was a total loss, with no injuries reported.

Hahn said the cause remains under investigation.