Lady Tigers withstand comeback try by Trion
by David Royal
Jan 27, 2013 | 563 views | 0 0 comments | 4 4 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Adairsville built a lead steadily, turnover upon turnover and steal upon steal, and then sealed the deal by going 15-of-22 at the free throw line to claim a 34-27 victory over Trion on Saturday night.

The Lady Tigers took a modest lead early and then kept stretching it slowly until Mallory Bramblett hit a 3-pointer at the 6:48 mark of the fourth quarter to give her team a 13-point lead at 26-13.

Trion then reversed the scoring trend and started narrowing the difference until a bucket by Lady Bulldog Crystal Lee chopped the spread to three points at 28-25 with just over a minute remaining in the contest.

The Lady Tigers scored their final six points at the free throw line while allowing their visitors only a bucket.

“It wasn’t a pretty win. I knew it was going to be a fight. Trion always plays hard, so we knew we’d have to play four full quarters of good basketball and we did,” Adairsville coach Meredith Barnhill said. “Neither team shot well. It just kind of came down to who was able to make free throws and who was able to create more turnovers.”

Both teams started slowly with the Lady Tigers taking a meager 5-1 lead after a full quarter of play. Adairsville outscored the Lady Bulldogs 8-4 in the second period and carried a 13-5 lead into the halftime locker.

The difference between their totals inched to 10 points — 23-13 — after three periods of play as Adairsville outscored the visitors 10-8 in the frame. Trion had a 14-11 run to close the final period.

Barnhill said the game was a challenge for her Lady Tigers.

“We came out and for a couple of minutes shot better than they did. A couple of possessions in a row we got a steal, some offensive rebounds. It’s always nice to start the third quarter like that.”

She said Trion put Adairsville to the test in the final period.

“We were able to hold on at the end. We were up 11 and Trion is not going to hand it to you. They fought back to cut it to three but our kids did a good job of handling some tough pressure at the end. We made some big free throws at the end.”

To read the rest of this story, please purchase a copy of The Daily Tribune News at your nearby news rack or subscribe to the E-edition.