I-75 chase goes down 41, hits 100 mph
by Staff Report
Jan 02, 2013 | 4065 views | 0 0 comments | 12 12 recommendations | email to a friend | print
A Georgia State Patrol pursuit began on Interstate 75 Tuesday morning and ended near Shotgun Road after reaching speeds in excess of 100 mph.

A GSP trooper clocked a 2001 Cadillac of unknown model exceeding the speed limit as it traveled northbound on I-75, according to a GSP press release. The trooper attempted to make a traffic stop, but the vehicle attempted to flee.

The suspects sped up I-75 to exit 306 in Adairsville and turned west onto state Route 140. A short time later the Cadillac turned onto Ga. Highway 41 and sped south. According to a trooper involved in the pursuit, at least two GSP troopers were chasing the vehicle at that time.

The suspects drove off of Highway 41 and onto Old Highway 41 twice in an attempt to elude the GSP. The trooper involved in the chase said speeds reached 110 mph during the pursuit.

While attempting to outrun the troopers, the suspects allegedly threw a number of bags out the vehicle’s windows that were suspected to contain marijuana.

The Bartow County Sheriff’s Office was called in to assist. Deputies placed stop sticks on Cedar Creek Road near Shotgun Road. When the three suspects turned onto Cedar Creek Road, they stopped before they reached the BCSO roadblock and were boxed in by officers. They were then taken into custody.

According to the GSP release, the driver was identified as Alvin Sander Frederique, 34, of Chattanooga, Tenn.

“He is charged with numerous misdemeanors and a felony violation, including violation of the Georgia Controlled Substances Act and fleeing and attempting to elude,” said the release.

The other two suspects were not identified in the release and a full list of charges is still pending.

<*C>Man charged with battery, snags car on rock

An intoxicated man hung his car up on a rock after striking his girlfriend and her friend Monday night.

A Bartow County Sheriff’s Office was en route to the Alford Road home when dispatch told him the intoxicated suspect — later identified as Brent Ellis — had tried to leave the area in his car, but he was “hung up on a rock,” according to the report.

When the deputy arrived on the scene, he saw Ellis sitting in the vehicle. The deputy saw Ellis’s right eye was black and blue and swollen. After the deputy asked what happened, according to the report, Ellis said, “I punched myself in the eye.” When asked if anything happened, Ellis said, “No.”

The deputy detained Ellis in the back of his patrol vehicle before he spoke with the two victims.

The first victim said she had just returned from work and Ellis was “extremely intoxicated.” She said he was arguing with his girlfriend when he allegedly hit her a number of times in the face and on the arms. The second victim was able to hit him once in the face before she fell back onto the floor, according to the report.

Ellis then allegedly threw a ceramic plant holder against the kitchen wall, causing damage. The first victim told Ellis to leave. He turned and allegedly hit her in the back of the head.

According to the report, Ellis then ran out the front door and the first victim was able to lock the door. Ellis reportedly began to beat the front door and windows. The first victim said she then heard a loud thump. When she looked out the windows, the victim said she saw Ellis had gotten into his car and had attempted to leave. Since it looked as though it was stuck on something, she called 911, according to the report.

While the second victim confirmed the first victim’s statement, she did not wish to press charges. The deputy noted some redness and bruising to the second victim’s face and arms. After inspecting Ellis’s vehicle, the deputy saw two empty vodka bottles laying on the floor. However, no charges were filed for driving under the influence, open container in vehicle or battery.

Ellis was arrested and charged with simple battery under the Family Violence Act and criminal trespass (F.V.A.). He was transported to the Bartow County Jail without incident.

Shoplifters’ vehicle stuck on curb

An attempt to shoplift a 12-pack of Mike’s Classic Margarita failed when the suspects’ vehicle became stuck on a curb.

A Bartow County Sheriff’s Office deputy was called to 5136 Joe Frank Harris Parkway, Adairsville, in reference to the theft. When the deputy arrived, the complaintant said he saw two white men and one black man allegedly run out of the gas station and enter a red Dodge Neon.

The suspects attempted to leave the parking lot at a high rate of speed, according to the incident report, when the Dodge became stuck on the curb. All three suspects fled the scene on foot, but one returned to the vehicle. However, that suspect then fled the scene a second time.

A witness said she saw one of the men take the 12-pack and leave the store without paying. A copy of the security footage was not available at the time, but it will be submitted to BCSO at a later date, according to the report.

The vehicle’s owner arrived on scene, and he said it was his daughter’s car. She had told him earlier that her boyfriend had been alone when he left in the Dodge and she did not know who else might have been in the car.

The 12-pack was located on the Dodge’s rear floor and returned to the store owner.