According to Adairsville Police Department Chief of Detectives Michael Fitz, the undercover operation involving an underage officer is part of the department’s “proactive policing.”
“We do this as part of our criminal investigations and code enforcement,” he said, adding that the operation checks a business’s compliance with state and local ordinances.
Ten locations were targeted in Friday’s sting, with eight of the 10 selling to the minor.
The eight stores that sold to a minor were:
• Dandy Bob’s Petro, 7320 Highway 140;
• Favorite Market, at the intersection of Highway 140 and U.S. 411;
• Adairsville Supermarket, 5859 Joe Frank Harris Parkway;
•Food Lion, 7409 Adairsville Highway;
•Knight’s Exxon, 102 Princeton Drive;
• QuikTrip, 961 Adairsville Highway;
• Big Mama’s Market, 932 Highway 140; and
• Cowboy’s, 926 Highway 140.
Fitz said the two locations that refused to sell to the underage officer were Chevron, 7865 Adairsville Highway, and Beamer BP, 7875 Adairsville Highway.
The employee who sold the alcohol to the officer was issued a citation during Friday’s operation with the license holder receiving a summons to appear before the city council. The council will determine what actions will be taken against the business.