Gas container on stove results in structure fire
by Staff Report
Apr 01, 2012 | 2547 views | 0 0 comments | 8 8 recommendations | email to a friend | print
A structural fire believed to be caused by a gas can on a stove, was responded to by Bartow County and Cartersville fire departments early Friday morning.

According to CFD Capt. Shannon Horn, a Cartersville woman called in to dispatch that morning, saying that her husband had placed a gas can on the stove, and turned the stove on starting a fire at the 214 Gilreath Road address.

BCFD Capt. Darrell Abernathy said firefighters arrived at the one-story wood frame structure around 10:25 a.m. Responding units included BCFD Station 1 and 2, and Cartersville Fire Department Engine 2.

The initial review of the building found smoke on the right side of the building. Fire damage was contained to the kitchen, however, the smoke damage went throughout the structure. Firefighters used a positive pressure fan to ventilate the structure.

More information about the male subject is currently unavailable at this time. There were no injuries.

The engines were back in service around 12:22 p.m.

Man arrested after argument over barbecue

A woman in Cartersville called in to dispatch in reference to simple battery, after an argument about consumed food got out of hand.

A deputy arrived at the address and meet with the woman, who said she and a male subject were in a verbal argument about food. She claimed the man pushed her.

The man said he found his barbecue ribs had been eaten. He confronted the woman, who began to yell at him and he pushed her. "I did not know I pushed her that hard," he said.

Another witness said the two had been arguing for the past week and that it was only a matter of time before the man lost his temper.

The man was arrested and charged with simple battery under the family violence act.