Suspect still on run after shooting
by Staff Report
Mar 25, 2014 | 2178 views | 0 0 comments | 21 21 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The suspect in a Saturday night shooting remains on the run.

Cartersville police were called to Chevron, 2331 Highway 411, about 7:30 p.m. where a man with a gunshot wound was seated on the ground in a bloody shirt.

The victim said he was returning to his room at the Courtesy Inn after playing basketball when a tall black male shot him outside the hotel, according to the incident report.

Cartersville Police Department Public Information Officer Capt. Mark Camp said Monday afternoon that the suspect — who was wearing a gold chain with a cross charm on it — had not been captured.

The victim, who was transported to Cartersville Medical Center, did not sustain a life-threatening injury, Camp said.

Man chokes, threatens to kill woman who declined sex

Cartersville police have issued warrants for a man who choked and threatened to kill his girlfriend after she did not want to have sex.

According to the incident report, the victim was awakened by Terrence Griffith about 9 a.m. Sunday in an attempt to “have ‘sex.’” The woman told Griffith she had worked the entire night before and had an upset stomach.

Griffith became angry, yelling and pulling the blankets off the victim. According to the victim, he then began to flick hot cigarette ashes onto the her chest. She told police she went into the living room to be with her children, where Griffith beat her with a belt and pulled her by the hair across the floor.

When the victim returned to the bedroom, according to the report, Griffith wedged a speaker box in front of the door so she couldn’t leave. Griffith then tackled the victim on the bed and began strangling her with a red sweatshirt. He told the victim he was going to kill her and “then off himself.” After being choked for “moments,” Griffith placed a pillow over the victim’s face to smother her, repeatedly stating, “You don’t think I’ll do it,” according to the report.

A witness verified the victim’s account.

The victim said Griffith was armed with a handgun and had made remarks that “if he had to go to jail again, it would be for a good reason.” She also said she believed Griffith had previous incidences of assault on law enforcement.

Warrants for Griffith were taken on charges of aggravated assault under the Family Violence Act, battery (FVA), third-degree cruelty to children (FVA), false imprisonment (FVA) and terroristic threats (FVA).

DUI driver arrested after parking on Mission Road

A man apparently sleeping off alcohol was found parked in the right lane of Mission Road facing westbound before dawn Sunday.

Police were called to a gold SUV parked in the lane at the railroad crossing on Mission Road about 6:45 a.m. The officer found David Prince, 39, leaned over to his right into the passenger area without any lights on inside or outside the vehicle.

According to the report, once the officer made sure Prince was breathing, he knocked on the window, startling Prince. The officer said Prince’s eyes looked bloodshot and glassy before the driver again leaned over and closed his eyes. After knocking again, the officer asked Prince to open the door.

The officer reported an odor of alcohol when Prince opened the door. Prince, who was asked to step outside the vehicle, agreed to a search.

While conducting the search, Prince’s phone began to chime. After it was determined Prince did not have any weapons, he was asked to stay near his vehicle and if he had been drinking, to which he said one beer.

When the officer asked Prince to take a field sobriety test, the man became “agitated,” saying he had fallen asleep at the railroad crossing while waiting for the train. Prince told police he had been shot in the ankle and could not perform the tests. At that time, the officer asked Prince to blow into an alcohol-sensor, which he declined to do.

A second officer asked Prince if he had been drinking and he said he had “a beer, some margarita (sic), and some wine with his baby momma in Cobb County,” according to the report. A later field alcohol-sensor showed Prince positive for alcohol at a level of .152.

Prince’s phone again began to chime, so he asked the officer what time it was. The officer said he was not sure and asked Prince what time he thought it was. Prince said he was not sure because it was still dark but he had set his phone alarm for 7 a.m.

Once at CPD, the officer reported that Prince said, “I would have been hung over for work anyway. I feel awful.”

“While en route to the Bartow County Jail, Mr. Prince state that he did not know whether to love me or hate me because he felt like I had saved his life because he thought he was at home asleep not on the road, and someone could have struck his vehicle or robbed him, but that it sucked he was still going to jail,” the officer wrote in the report.

Prince was charged with driving under the influence and improperly parked vehicle.